Is KDROI the Effective Time-Saver You’re Looking For?
Success in self-publishing is all about discoverability and getting your book in front of your target audience right after you publish. But most authors don’t have a large enough online presence to effectively promote a book, and this is where book promotion sites come in.
With over 100 free and paid sites to choose from, book promotion sites are one of the most cost-effective ways to promote a new book. The only problem with these sites, however, is that almost all of them require authors to fill out a submission form before their book is approved, and that can take a lot of time.
Some authors hire virtual assistants to do this for them, while others bite the bullet and just do it themselves. There is a third option, however, and that is using the tool KDROI.
KDROI is a third-party Kindle promotion tool that automates the process and submits a book to multiple sites in just a few minutes. This post is an in-depth look at KDROI, its features, price, pros and cons.
Table of Contents
What is KDROI?
KDROI brands itself as the “ultimate Kindle ebook promotion tool”. It’s a Kindle publishing tool that can submit your book to 32+ ebook promotion sites in less than a minute. No more wasting time manually submitting your book to website directories or spending money to outsource the task to a virtual assistant. KDROI will help you:
• Quickly market your book on top Kindle promotion websites.
• Spread your book to a wide audience to improve your ranking and sales.
KDROI was developed the Wesley Atkins, the man behind the popular Kindle book research tool KDSPY (formerly known as Kindle Spy), which enables publishers to reverse-engineer bestselling Kindle books in any category. As we’ve covered on this site, KDSPY is an excellent tool for keyword and category research, which bodes well for KDROI.
How Does it Work?
KDROI is a browser extension that works on Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. You have to buy the software outright before you can use it (there are no free trials). Once you’ve installed KDROI, you should see an icon in your browser similar to the one in the screenshot below:
Step 1: Choose the Type of Promotion You Want to Run
Before you start using KDROI, log into your Kindle Direct Publishing account at kdp.amazon.com and search for the book you want to promote using the search bar. Click on the ‘Promote and Advertise’ option and then specify the type of book promotion you want to run.
You can set up a free book promotion or a Kindle Countdown Deal. You can alternatively set your promotion price to $0.99 when finalizing your details with KDROI. Once you’ve chosen the type of promotion you want, create it, and go to the next page to select a start and end date for your promotion. Save the changes, and you’re now ready to use KDROI to promote your book.
Step 2: Go to Your Book Page and Use KDROI
Click on the KDROI icon on the Amazon page of the book you want to promote to start the process. As an example, we’re going to use the tool on George Orwell’s 1984.
Step 3: Fill Out the Necessary Details
KDROI will automatically fill out 99% of the data available for your book. You only have to select whether your book is fiction or non-fiction, confirm the author name, and enter an email address.
In the next step, you’ll be presented with a book description, author bio, and cover image. KDROI pulls that information directly from Amazon. You can modify these details here (change your cover image, etc.) before moving on to the next step.
Step 4: Submit Your Book to Your Selected Websites
KDROI will present you with a list of websites where you can promote your book for the chosen duration of the promotion. Choose the type of promo you want to run (free, permafree, or $0.99) and the sites you want to submit your book to.
Step 5: Choose the Dates of the Promotion
On the last page, KDROI will present you with a simple calendar. Choose the start and end date of your book promotion. Schedule your promotion a week or two in advance. Almost all KDP promotion sites require at least a week’s notice to process a submission, so the start date you input into KDROI must be seven days in the future.
Once you’ve set the promotion start and end date, click ‘Submit Promotion’ and that’s it, you’re done! KDROI will send you an email for every successful submission. You can view and download a log containing the results, including details on whether or not your submission was accepted by the sites you chose, by clicking on ‘Log Report’.
KDROI is usually sold for a one-time fee of $97, which includes lifetime access to the software and unlimited updates, but it’s currently available at a discounted price of $47 at this link. There is no free trial, but there is a 60-day money back guarantee in case you’re not satisfied with the service. You can purchase KDROI here.
• Affordable – KDROI is only $47, which we think it well worth it considering the amount of work it saves publishers.
• Easy-to-use browser extension – The KDROI extension works on Chrome and Firefox. It’s easy to install and intuitive to use. It shouldn’t take you more than five minutes to get set up.
• Gets regular updates – The software is regularly updated with new features and bug fixes.
• Your book may not get successfully submitted to all 32+ directories – KDROI claims it can submit your book to 32+ sites, which is technically true, but some directories have submission requirements. For example, your book may need a minimum of 5 stars or 10 reviews before it can be featured on some sites. Don’t expect your submission to get accepted on all 32+ sites.
• Doesn’t cover all major promotion sites – KDROI will only submit your book to free promotion sites that connect to the software. You still have to manually submit your book to paid promotion sites if you want to stand out and rise above the competition.
• No automatic updates – Both Firefox and Chrome users must manually update the extension whenever a new major update is released. Firefox users will have to remove the extension and install the updated version.
• No support for Safari and other browsers – KDROI is currently only programmed to work on Firefox and Chrome. Browsers like Safari, Microsoft Edge, and others aren’t supported. The KDROI website cites the “declining popularity” of browsers other than Chrome and Firefox as the reason, so don’t expect those options to ever come.
Your book won’t sell just because it exists. You have to promote it and spread the word as much and as far as you can if you want to get sales. There are several free and paid sites that can help get the word out about your book. Use a mixture of both to get good results.
KDROI is a handy tool that can save you the effort of manually submitting your book to these sites. Submissions that would take hours to complete can be slashed down to minutes. It’s affordable at $47 and very easy to use. The only caveat is that your book may not get accepted all 32+ sites, but it should make it to at least two dozen, which is pretty good. We recommend KDROI to self-publishers who want to improve efficiency and enhance their promotion capabilities.